The South Dakota Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form is a document recording a transaction between two parties. You will need to have a bill of sale form to handle various transaction including title transactions.
It is advisable to use the South Dakota Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form whenever you buy a vehicle from, or sell a vehicle to, another person. For these purposes, a vehicle includes both a motor vehicle and a car.
For the seller, it shows the date the vehicle was sold and information about the buyer. For the buyer, it gives specific information about the vehicle including the vehicle type, make, model and serial number; which can be checked against a Vehicle History Report.
The South Dakota Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form is NOT an official document providing ownership but rather a record of the transaction between the parties. Only a title transfer proves ownership.
Ensuring the South Dakota Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form is completed correctly is vital for both the buyer and the seller; as any discrepancies may mean that a different vehicle is referred to:-
- Enter the full date of the sale
- Enter the vehicle details in the following order:-
- Vehicle make e.g. Ford
- Vehicle model e.g. Fiesta
- Vehicle title number – This will be in the vehicle title. If you have a loan on your vehicle then the bank or lender will usually hold the title. If this is the case, you should be able to call them and ask for the title number
- EITHER enter the motor vehicle serial number (found on the chassis of the vehicle) OR the boat hull ID number (affixed to the rear of the transom, usually on the upper right corner)
- Enter the full name of the purchaser
- Enter the purchase price (it is advisable to enter in both words and figures for clarification)
- Enter the date of the South Dakota Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form
- Both parties sign where indicated
N.B. The buyer may not be required to sign the South Dakota Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form; however, a buyer’s signature is critically important in protecting the seller. If the buyer does not sign the form, the seller may have difficulty proving the sale took place; and as a result may be held liable for any violations incurred by the new owner
Text version of this Form
———————– Page 1———————–
BILL OF SALE
That I (we) do hereby swear that on _______________________________________________ ,20___, I (we)
sold, transferred, conveyed all rights, title and interest in the following described motor vehicle/boat:
Make____________________Model _____________________Year_______Title # _____________________
Motor Vehicle serial # _______________________________________________________________________
Boat Hull ID #______________________________________________________________________________
for ______________________________________ dollars. I (we) further swear as seller that I (we) am (are)
the owner(s) of the above described motor vehicle/boat and have full right and power to convey the same.
Dated this __________day of ________________________________, 20___ .
I declare and affirm under the penalties of perjury that this information has been examined by me, and to
the best of my knowledge and belief, is in all things true and correct.
Seller(s) Signature: _______________________________________________________________________
Seller(s) Address: _______________________________________________________________________