You as a Landlord can terminate a month-to-month tenancy by serving Alabama Termination Of Month-To-Month Tenancy Notice to the Tenant. Alabama Code §§ 35-9A-441 permits issuance of such notice. However, you must prepare and serve this notice as described in Alabama State law.
Please specify the date of the evacuation in the notice. Typically, the date of evacuation shall be on the thirtieth day after the subsequent periodic date of paying the rent. However, you may refer to any special term or condition specified in the original lease agreement for serving the notice of termination in such month-to-month tenancy. Alabama State law requires serving this notice prior to termination of the tenancy. In addition, it is illegal to act on retaliatory or discriminatory motives. However, the Landlord can serve a shorter notice in case of nonpayment of rent and/or breach of the terms and conditions of the rental lease agreement.
Things to Remember before Termination of Tenancy
- Please understand the requisites of preparing the Alabama Termination Of Month-To-Month Tenancy Notice like specifying the date of effective termination of the tenancy, description of the property or premises leased to the Tenant, and completion of the Certificate of Service form.
- Retain a copy of the duly signed Alabama Termination Of Month-To-Month Tenancy Notice with you for reference.
- Please complete the Certificate of Service form carefully, avoid emissions and strikeouts, and the person serving the notice must duly sign the form in conformity to its content. The person serving the notice must specify whom the notice is served, name of the place, mode, date and time of serving the notice accurately.
- Alabama Code §§ 35-9A-441 of the Alabama State has detailed directives on how the Landlord and/or authorized agent of the Landlord must prepare Alabama Termination Of Month-To-Month Tenancy Notice.
- You as a Landlord are allowed to request a special detainer action upon non-compliance of the Tenant to eviction after completion of the notice period.
Steps to Prepare Alabama Termination of Month-To-Month Tenancy Notice
- Enter the legal name of the Tenant on the first line. Use separate lines to specify the names of the other Tenants if more than one person has signed the original rental lease agreement.
- Enter description and address of the rental property / premise on the next line. Provide street address along with the name of the city, county, state, and zip code.
- Enter the date of termination of the tenancy in the required format on the next line.
- Continue by entering the date of the next date of the rent payment. The termination date specified in this notice must be the thirtieth day of this date.
- Enter date and sign above your printed name.
Certificate of Service
- Enter the name of the person to whom this Alabama Termination Of Month-To-Month Tenancy Notice is served.
- Enter the address and name of the place where this notice is served.
- Continue by entering the date of serving the notice. You may choose to provide time of serving the notice along with the date.
- The person serving this notice must sign above the printed name.