Free Washington Month to Month Rental Lease Agreement - PDF Form Download
Washington Month to Month Rental Lease Agreement is used when renting a residential property with rental terms of Month to Month payments, in this rental term the lease renews automatically every month on payment and when any party needs to end the lease they need to give a 30 days notice before vacating the premises.
This type of rental arrangement is also known as Tenancy at Will. This lease agreement is only to be used in the State of Washington. The WA State Lease/ Rental Agreement & Security Deposit Receipt is a type of form which must be filled up, when a landlord wishes to put his apartment up for lease or rent. The form is filled by both the tenant and the landlord. The reason for filling this form is to have a proper contract of tenancy between the landlord and the tenant. The form is meant for a single family.
The form must be filled carefully, starting with the date on the day of filling the form. Following that the details of the landlord/owner and the person who wishes to reside in the apartment must be given. The address of the property must also be mentioned. These details are meant to ascertain the parties to the contract, as well as the property involved.
The next section is regarding the duration of the tenancy.
The options state whether it is a month-to-month tenancy or for a longer duration. In case of lease which is for more than a year, all the signatures must be notarized and a legal description of the property must be attached. The section after that, talks about the amount that must be paid for the tenancy. It is divided into various sections like rent, parking charges, locker and other charges. The section mentions how much amount is payable in advance as well.
The later section refers to deposits, processing fee, Prepayments, and finally the terms of termination of the tenancy. The clauses talk about damage to the property, smoke detection devices, rules regarding pets, attorney fees, obligations of the tenant, maintenance, and repairs.
Section 27 deals with the summary of the funds, which are received or due and lists the documents which need to be attached to the form. At the end of the form, there must be signatures by both the owner, his agent and the tenant.
Text Version of the Form
THIS AGREEMENT made this ________ day of ___________, 20____ between_________________________________________________________
(who shall be the Landlord as defined in law, hereinafter called “Owner”) and ____________________________________________________________ (regardless of number, who shall be the Tenant as defined in law, hereinafter called “Resident”), for rental Premises located at
_______________________________________________________, City of _____________________________, County of_____________________, Washington (hereinafter called the “Premises”).
- TERM: The term of this Agreement shall be (check one):
- ______ a month-to-month tenancy beginning ___________________________; OR
- ______ a Lease for a term of _______ months beginning ________________, 20______ and ending ________________, 20______.
If a Lease for a term greater than one year, have all signatures notarized and attach a legal description of the Property.
If Paragraph 1(b) is checked above, check one of the following:
- ______ Upon expiration of the above-stated initial term of Lease, this Agreement shall revert to a month-to-month tenancy on the same terms and conditions as this Agreement except as may be amended by Owner upon thirty days’ written notice, OR
- ______ Upon expiration of the above-stated initial term of Lease, all Resident’s rights to occupy the premises shall cease without right to extend the term hereof. This Agreement shall not revert to a month-to-month tenancy following expiration of the term.
- RENT: Resident shall pay monthly rent and other charges in the following amounts:
MONTHLY PREMISES RENT $ MONTHLY PARKING SPACE RENT $ MONTHLY STORAGE LOCKER RENT $ OTHER MONTHLY CHARGES (SPECIFY) $ TOTAL RENT $
The total amount set forth above is considered rent and is payable in advance by the _________ day of each and every month during said term to Owner at ______________________________________________________________________________________, Washington ______________, or any such other place that the Owner may from time to time designate. Any rent unpaid by the due date is termed delinquent. Owner may, at Owner’s option, apply funds received from Resident to balances due in the following order: damage, repairs, unpaid utilities, late payment charges, notice fees, miscellaneous charges such as parking or storage rental, past due rent, and current rent. At any time during a month to month tenancy, rent may be increased on 30 days written notice, except for housing cost increases for properties within the Seattle city limits where the increase exceeds 10% annually, which shall require 60 days’ written notice.
Rent received on or after the ________ day of each month shall result in assessment against Resident of a $_______ late payment charge plus $_______ each additional day thereafter that rent has not been paid in full, all of which shall be considered to be additional rent and must be paid at the time the delinquent rent is paid.
Any check which fails to clear the bank shall be treated as unpaid rent and shall be subject to the aforementioned late payment charge, plus a $________ returned check fee. Should Resident submit a check that is dishonored or returned for non-sufficient funds, or should Resident offer payment to cure any default such as following receipt of a 3 Day Notice to Pay or Vacate, Resident shall make such payment by cash, cashier’s check or money order. If Resident gives Owner a check that is returned for non-payment, all future payments by Resident shall be made by cash, cashier’s check or money order. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Owner may issue a 3 Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate immediately after the rental due date without waiting until late payment charges begin to accrue.
If for reason of non-payment of rent Owner shall give a statutory 3 Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate, or if Owner shall lawfully issue any other notice permitted pursuant to RCW 59.12 et seq. or RCW 59.18 et seq., Resident agrees to pay in addition to the delinquent rent and late payment charges provided for above, the sum of $________ for preparing and giving the notice, which shall be paid by the deadline for compliance with the Notice.
- DEPOSIT: Resident agrees to pay the sum of $____________ as a deposit for all purposes, including unpaid rent, damage, cleaning, late payment, utilities, keys and other charges. The deposit shall be kept in a trust account with ____________________________________________ Bank, whose address is _______________________________________________________. Resident’s liability is not limited by the amount of the deposit. Resident is prohibited from applying any amount of the deposit to rental or other payments owed to Owner. At the conclusion of the tenancy, Resident shall provide Owner with a single forwarding address to which the deposit accounting and any refund is to be sent. Any refund will be by a single check payable to all individual Residents and they shall apportion any refund among themselves. Owner’s itemized statement for retaining any of the deposit, together with any refund owing shall be sent to Resident’s forwarding address within 14 days after termination of this Agreement and vacation of the premises, conditioned upon Resident’s compliance with this Agreement and the following:
- Resident shall have complied with all the conditions of this Agreement.
- Except for charges imposed pursuant to paragraph #4 hereof, Resident shall clean and restore the premises to its condition at the commencement of this tenancy as evidenced by the Property Condition Checklist, which is incorporated herein by reference, less wear and tear from normal usage. Resident agrees that soiling is not wear and tear from normal usage.
- Resident shall surrender all keys to Owner.
- Resident shall bear the cost to replace or repair any missing or damaged property or fixtures provided by the Owner.
- Labor and administrative costs for cleaning and repairing the premises shall be at the rate of $_______ per hour, excepting labor performed by parties other than Owner or agent, which shall be assessed at its actual cost.
- Resident’s payment of any fees or charges imposed pursuant to this Agreement, including early termination charges. Any refund from deposit will be mailed to Residents at their last known address within 14 days of vacancy of the Premises.
- NON-REFUNDABLE AND/OR PROCESSING FEES: Resident agrees to pay the sum of $___________ (insert zero if this paragraph is inapplicable), as a non-refundable charge which shall be used for _____________________________________________________________________ (identify what the fee covers – be specific), which sum shall not be refunded under any circumstances. All monies received for late fees, deposits, credit check, etc. are considered rent charges for use of the property. Owner may recover from Resident any costs incurred not covered by this fee. Resident to Initial: _____________.
- PREPAYMENTS: Resident has made a prepayment of last month’s rent of $________. Resident is required to pay any difference between the prepayment and the actual last month’s rent if rent has increased before the last month of tenancy.
- APPLICATIONS AND SCREENING FEES: Application and/or screening fees paid prior to commencement of tenancy in the amount of
$________________ are non-refundable. Resident authorizes Owner to obtain supplementary credit reports at any time during the Resident’s occupancy of the Premises at Owner’s expense. Resident warrants that they have never been convicted of nor pled guilty or no contest to a felony (whether or not resulting in a conviction) and that Residents have never been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a misdemeanor involving sexual misconduct, or a crime against a child (whether or not resulting in a conviction). Resident warrants the accuracy of all information contained on Resident’s rental application. A subsequent determination that Resident provided false or inaccurate information on the rental application is a breach of the terms of this Agreement and that Owner may take legal action to terminate this Agreement in such case. Resident to Initial: _____________.
- TERMINATION OF TENANCIES: Resident understands that this tenancy shall terminate at ____________ om. / o p.m. on the last day of occupancy. It is Resident’s obligation to have the premises vacant and thoroughly clean by that hour. Unless paragraph 1(d) governs this Agreement, any notice of termination shall be by written notice of at least twenty (20) days before the end of any monthly rental period, given by either party to the other. Any notice of termination must provide for the vacation of the premises by all occupants unless otherwise agreed to by Owner in writing. If Resident vacates the premises prior to the expiration hereof or without notice as required by this paragraph, Resident shall be liable for additional rent as provided for in RCW 59.18.310. Any items left behind in the unit by the Resident after termination of tenancy will be handled as required under RCW 59.18.310.
- DAMAGE: Resident has inspected the Premises and acknowledges that it is in good condition at the commencement of this Agreement, except as otherwise indicated on the Property Condition Checklist (attach form as required by RCW 59.18.260). Resident shall keep the Premises in a clean and orderly condition, including but not limited to appliances, plumbing, floor coverings, and all personal property provided by Owner, throughout the term of this Agreement and upon surrendering the premises to Owner. Resident will bear the cost of any cleaning or repair performed by Owner to restore the premises to the condition indicated on the attached Property Condition Checklist, except for wear resulting from ordinary use of the Premises. Resident is responsible for rent lost by Owner while performing repairs and/or cleaning because of Residents failure to comply with the foregoing. The Property Condition Checklist will be used to determine the refund of security deposit at the end of this tenancy.
- AFTER-HOURS LOCKOUT CLAUSE: If Resident(s) misplace keys to the rented premises, Resident(s) are to contact a locksmith to allow entry at their own expense. If no locksmith is available actual charges for the cost of service will be billed. Owner or offsite management reserves the right to charge a ‘lockout fee’ at any time and onsite management reserves the right to do so after hours, not to exceed $100 and to be payable upon entry. Management does not guarantee ‘lock out’ service to be available.
- A) SMOKE DETECTION DEVICES/FIRE SAFETY AND PROTECTION INFORMATION:
The above described smoke detection device(s) are: (check one) o Hard-wired o Battery operated. Resident’s initials acknowledge receipt:___________.
It is the responsibility of Resident to maintain all smoke detection devices, including replacement of any batteries. Resident shall not tamper with, remove batteries, or otherwise disable any smoke detection devices. Any Resident failing to comply with the provisions of paragraph #10 can be fined up to $200.00 in accordance with RCW 43.44.110/WAC 212.10.050. Resident’s initials at the end of this paragraph indicate that all smoke detection devices in the Premises are in proper working order as of the date of this Agreement. Resident to Initial: ____________.
If battery operated, the unit(s) has been checked and is properly operating at the commencement of tenancy. Under the law, it is the tenant’s responsibility to maintain the smoke detection device(s) in proper operating condition in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, including providing it with replacement batteries as needed. Failure to maintain the smoke detector is also grounds for termination of tenancy. Additionally, if liability or damages occur because of a tenants’ failure to maintain the unit, you may leave yourself open to potential lawsuits and liability (see WAC 212-10-050). Resident also agrees to test the smoke detector for proper operation once a month and report any malfunctions to the owner/agent in writing.
- B) CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTION DEVICES:
The above described carbon monoxide detection device(s) are: (check one) o Hard-wired o Battery operated o Plug-in w/battery backup.
In accordance with RCW 19.27.530 a minimum of one carbon monoxide detector is provided. It is the responsibility of the Resident to maintain all carbon monoxide detection devices, including replacement of any batteries.. Resident shall not tamper with, remove batteries, or otherwise disable any carbon monoxide detection devices. Resident’s initials at the end of this paragraph indicate that all carbon monoxide detection devices in the Premises are in proper working order as of the date of this Agreement.
If battery operated, the unit(s) has been checked and is properly operating at the commencement of tenancy. It is the tenant’s responsibility to maintain the carbon monoxide detection device(s) in proper operating condition in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, including providing it with replacement batteries as needed. Failure to maintain the carbon monoxide detector is also grounds for termination of tenancy. Additionally, if liability or damages occur because of a tenants’ failure to maintain the unit, you may leave yourself open to potential lawsuits and liability (see WAC 212-10-050).
Resident also agrees to test the carbon monoxide detector for proper operation once a month and report any malfunctions to the owner/agent in writing. Resident to Initial: _____________.
- USE/ASSIGNMENTS OR SUB-LETTING: Resident shall not use the premises for any business purpose regardless of whether such business may be authorized by local law as a legal home occupation, including, but not limited to, garage/yard sales and private lessons/tutoring. Resident shall comply fully with all municipal, county, and state codes, statutes, ordinances and regulations pertaining to the use district in which the Premises are located. Resident shall not assign this Agreement, sub-let the premises, give accommodations to any roomers or lodgers, or permit the premises to be used for any purpose other than as the primary full time residence for the following named persons (include all minors):
______________________________________ ______________________________________ ______________________________________
______________________________________ ______________________________________ ______________________________________
Changes in occupancy are not permitted without the prior written approval of Owner at the Owner’s sole discretion. In the event that Resident contemplates a change in occupants or marital status during the term of this Agreement, no such change shall modify this Agreement unless Owner consents thereto and prepares a revised rental Agreement, which shall be signed by all Residents. Should Owner agree to any sublet, assignment or change in occupancy, the vacating Resident recognizes that any prepayments or refundable deposits will be assigned to the successor Residents and any refund shall be made solely to the successor residents at the termination of tenancy.
12. UTILITY CHARGES: (check blanks if applicable)
Paid for by Resident to utility: o electricity o garbage o sewer o water o natural gas / oil o other: . Resident agrees to establish use, maintain and/or pay for all utilities without delinquency used in or charged against the Premises during the term of this Agreement. Resident agrees to submit to Owner upon demand, proof that any utilities, assessments or charges have been paid by Resident.
Paid for by Resident to Owner: o electricity o garbage o sewer o water o natural gas / oil o other: .
Charges will be billed to Resident based upon invoices received by Owner/Agent directly from utility. See below regarding billing practices. (Ratio Utility Billing System Addendum should be completed with lease for buildings with 3+ units located within the City of Seattle. Effective July 15, 2011, Seattle Public Utilities does not permit tenants to open accounts for service in their name).
A flat fee of $ per person is charged per month; OR
Utility(ies) is (are) included in rent; OR
Rent includes up to $ per month usage for utility(ies) due to Owner. Any charges incurred for the specified utility(ies) over the stated amount will be billed to Resident by Owner. o electricity o garbage o sewer o water o natural gas / oil o other: See below regarding billing practices.
BILLING PRACTICES. Resident must pay amounts charged for utilities within ____ days after Resident receives the bill. When the utility bill is billed to Owner and copied to Resident, Resident will be charged a $____ service charge for processing. Utility payments received by Owner after ___ days will be considered late. To understand how late payments and returned checks will be handled see Section 2 of this agreement. Non-payment of utility charges may lead to eviction proceeding. Owner is entitled to use resident’s security deposit to recover unpaid utility charges upon move-out. Owner/Agent is not liable for failure to provide service or any losses or damages as a result of utility outages, interruptions, fluctuations, Resident’s lack of payment or otherwise.
- DELIVERY OF PREMISES: If for any reason whatsoever Owner does not deliver possession of the premises on the commencement of the term of this Agreement, rent shall be prorated until such time as Owner tenders possession. In all other respects this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect and the term shall not be extended. In no event shall Owner be liable to Resident for damages caused by failure to deliver possession of the premises. If possession of the premises is not tendered within 5 days of the commencement of the term of this Agreement, Resident may terminate this Agreement by giving written notice to Owner, and any monies paid by Resident to Owner shall be refunded to Resident.
- PETS AND ANIMALS: Except for service animals as defined in law, Resident shall maintain no pets or animals (including mammals, reptiles, birds, fish, rodents and insects) upon the premises, nor allow visitors or guests to do so, other than: ______________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(be specific, list quantity, type of pet, weight limit, etc.). If permission for pets is given, no pet noise shall be allowed to escape from the property or to disturb neighbors. It is Resident’s responsibility to clean-up and dispose of any pet excrement anywhere on the Property and on adjacent sidewalks, streets, alleys, and neighboring properties. If pets are maintained on the Premises, whether or not authorized by this Agreement, Resident assumes all costs of restoring premises as a result of any pet or animal on the premises including but not limited to costs to de-flea, fumigate, clean or replace floor coverings, yard restoration, and cost to analyze floors for presence of animal urine/waste or pest infestation should analysis disclose the presence of such damage. These policies include “guest pets”. No pets are to be added or substituted without Owner’s / Agent’s written permission.
- ATTORNEYS FEES: As provided by law and except as otherwise prohibited, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover its reasonable attorneys fees and court costs incurred in the event any action, suit or proceeding commenced to enforce the terms of this Agreement. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington. It is agreed that venue for any legal action brought to enforce the terms of this Agreement shall be in the District or Superior Court with jurisdiction over the area in which the premises are located.
- NON-WAIVER OF BREACH AND SEVERABILITY: The failure of Owner to insist upon the strict performance of any term of this Agreement, or to exercise any option herein conferred in any one or more instances, shall not be construed to be a waiver or relinquishment of any of such term or Agreement, but the same shall remain in full force and effect. If any clause or provision of this Agreement is illegal, invalid, or unenforceable under present or future laws effective during the term hereof, then it is the intention of the parties hereto that the remainder of the Agreement shall not be effected thereby, and it is also the intention of the parties to this Agreement that in lieu of each clause or provision that is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, there be added as a part of this Agreement, a clause or provision as similar in terms to such illegal, invalid or unenforceable clause or provision as may be possible and be legal, valid and enforceable.
- WATER-HEATER: PURSUANT TO RCW 19.27, the State of Washington requires that upon occupancy, the Temperature control in an accessible domestic hot-water heater within a rental dwelling be set no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Resident acknowledges that, if accessible, Resident has inspected the hot-water heater and to the best of Resident’s knowledge does not believe it to be set higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Resident to Initial: _____________.
- LEAD WARNING STATEMENT: Housing built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead-based paint, paint chips, and dust can pose health hazards if not managed properly. Lead exposure is especially harmful to young children and pregnant women. Before renting pre-1978 housing, Landlords and Owners must disclose the presence of known lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards in the dwelling. Residents must also receive a federally approved pamphlet on lead poisoning prevention.
- STORAGE AND PARKING: Resident recognizes that his/her storage of any personal property or vehicles on the Premises is at his/her own risk. Resident acknowledges that all locks or security systems may potentially be breached and that no warranty or representation is made regarding the efficacy of such systems. Resident hereby recognizes that Owner and agent are not liable for claims for damages arising out of the loss or damage to goods in storage for whatever reason outside the Owner’s control.
- ACTIONS BY THIRD PARTIES/PERSONAL PROTECTION: Owner disclaims any warranties or representation that it will be liable to Resident, resident’s family, agents, invitees, employees, or servants for any damages or losses to person or property caused by residents of the property or other persons. Resident understands that Owner and its legal representatives do not guarantee, warrant, or assure resident’s personal security and are limited in their ability to provide protection. Resident acknowledges that security devices or measures may fail or be thwarted by criminals or by electrical or mechanical malfunction. Therefore, Resident acknowledges that they should not rely upon the presence of such devices or measures and should protect themselves and their property as if these devices or measures did not exist. Resident understands that any proactive steps owner has taken are neither a guarantee nor a warranty that there will be no criminal acts or that resident will be free from the violent tendencies of third persons. Resident has been informed and understands and agrees that personal safety and security are resident’s own personal responsibility. Harassment or intimidation of a resident, guest, owner or owner’s agent is prohibited.
- ATTRACTIVE NUISANCES: Residents agree to not use, install, allow or support any attractive features including but not limited to trampolines, skate ramps, pools, on the property or surrounding property areas due to potential injury. Any trampolines/attractive features or such other items in Resident’s possession shall be stored in such a way that they cannot be used. Resident agrees to have items dismantled and stored in a safe condition.
- RENTERS INSURANCE: Resident is responsible for all damage caused to the premises as a result of the negligence of resident, its guests and invitees, including but not limited to fire and glass breakage, and shall be responsible for repair and replacement of any damage caused thereby, regardless of whether the breakage or damage was caused voluntarily, involuntarily, or from vandalism. Resident to Initial: _____________.
Renter’s insurance is required. Resident agrees to obtain insurance protecting the Premises from loss or damage caused by Resident/Guest or Resident’s/Guest’s negligence and understands that any insurance that Owner maintains is not for the benefit of Resident. A minimum of __________________ dollars of liability coverage needs to be obtained. Resident is required to provide proof of current renters insurance policy within 30 days of occupancy, and again at lease renewal.
Renter’s insurance is recommended. It is highly recommended that Resident obtain renter’s insurance to protect Resident’s personal property and to cover Resident’s liability for Resident’s or its guest’s negligence.
- LIENS AND SALES: Owner may mortgage the Premises or Property or grant deeds of trust with respect thereto. Resident agrees to execute such reasonable estoppels certificates as may be required by a mortgage or deed of trust beneficiary stating that the Lease is in full force and effect and certifying the dates to which Rent and other charges have been paid. This Lease is subject and subordinate to any mortgage or deed of trust which is now a lien upon the Property or the Premises, as well as to any mortgages or deeds of trust that may hereafter be placed upon the Property or Premises and to any or all advances to be made or amounts owing thereunder, and all renewals, replacements, consolidations and extensions thereof. Resident shall execute and deliver, within 10 days after demand therefore, whatever instruments may be required from time to time by any mortgagee or deed of trust beneficiary for any of the foregoing purposes.
- GENERAL TERMS: No oral agreements have been entered into with respect to this Agreement. This Agreement shall not be modified except by an instrument in writing signed by Resident and Owner. In the event of more than one resident, each resident is jointly and severally liable for each provision of this Agreement. Each resident states that he or she is of legal age to enter into this Agreement. All obligations hereunder are to be performed in the County and state where the Property is located. Time is of the essence of this Agreement. Neither this Agreement nor any memorandum thereof may be recorded without the express written consent of Owner.
- RESIDENT’S OBLIGATIONS: Resident agrees as follows:
- a) To pay all rent and other charges promptly when due or assessed, including utilities for which Resident is responsible. b) To execute all revised rental agreements upon request.
- Provide the Owner with emergency contact information within (10) days of commencement of tenancy and to provide updated or new information whenever such information is available.
- To notify and deliver to Owner any legal notice received from any person or governmental agency which relates to the Premises. Fines assessed to Owner by any governmental agency resulting from a Resident’s negligent behavior, including but not limited to, a failure to observe burn bans, or Resident’s maintenance of a nuisance shall be the responsibility of the Resident to pay.
- Not to do or keep anything in or about the premises which will increase the present insurance rate thereon. Resident agrees to reimburse Owner for any increase that might occur for violation of this rule.
- Resident agrees to provide written notice to Owner regarding any habitability issues and to give Owner the opportunity to cure the defective condition prior to exercising any other option granted to the Resident under law. Owner is under no obligation to correct or repair any defective conditions caused by the Resident.
- Resident is responsible for their own proper conduct and of all guests, including the responsibility for understanding and observing all policies and rules.
- Resident shall reimburse Owner immediately upon demand in the amount of the loss, property damage, or cost of repairs or service (including plumbing trouble) caused by negligence or improper use by Resident, their invitees, family or guests. Owner’s failure or delay in demanding damage reimbursements, late payment charges, returned check charges or other sums due from Resident shall not be deemed a waiver thereof; and Owner may demand the same at any time.
- Not to permit any person to occupy the Premises other than those persons identified in paragraph #11. Guests of Resident staying a maximum of __________ days are permitted within any given ______________ week period and do not require authorization by Owner. All unauthorized occupants shall, in addition to any other remedy, result in imposition of a per day charge of $_______________.
- Keys for unit should not be copied nor given to anyone other than those listed as lease or occupant without the owner’ s prior written consent.
- To comply with all laws and ordinances and the directions of all proper officers in relation thereto; with special emphasis placed on the Owner’s prohibition on the use of the Premises for prostitution, drug manufacture/use/possession/sale, any felony or misdemeanor or any other illegal use. Resident shall keep the premises free of illegal drugs, nor use the same on the Premises. Residents agree not to abuse any drugs, whether legal or illegal, or alcohol in a manner that will either disturb the peace of quiet enjoyment of other residents or endanger the health, safety, or wellbeing of any resident, family member, guest or invitee resident at the Premises or adjacent properties. Resident, family members or guests shall not engage in gang related activity on or about the Premises.
- Except in cases of emergency where no notice is required, to permit Owner, his or her agents, employees, or representatives to enter the Dwelling Unit (hereinafter called “Premises”) under 59.18.030 at reasonable times after notice as provided in the Residential Owner-Resident Act and to permit Owner to show the premises to prospective Residents.
- Resident shall not keep or maintain a nuisance on the Property.
- Resident shall not make or allow any disturbing noises which will interfere with the rights, comforts or convenience of others. TV, stereo, radio and musical instrument volumes are to be played at a volume which will not disturb others.
- To notify Owner immediately in writing of any necessary repairs or damage to the premises such as leaking pipes, toilets, faucets, etc.; Notification should be immediate in an emergency. Repair requests should be made as soon as the defect is noted.
- Resident’s dirt, destruction, damage of any nature, neglect or disrepair to carpet does not constitute normal wear and tear. Carpets must be shampooed by Resident upon vacancy. If carpets are new or Owner had carpets professionally shampooed prior to Resident’s occupancy as indicated on the Property Condition Checklist form, Resident shall also pay for professionally shampooing same. Resident shall obtain area rugs or other coverings to protect hardwood floors. q) Resident is to follow all bans/laws, including, but not limited to, burn bans.
- r) No smoking is allowed in or on the property unless the owner/agent provides an alternate smoking policy addendum as an attachment to this agreement.
Maintenance, Repairs and Alterations
- To take all reasonable precautions to prevent the presence of bed bugs.
- Resident understands and agrees that any damage caused by or related to cigarette/pipe/cigar smoking or any tobacco product use, or use of candles, incense, oil lamps, or burning of any other product (except for proper use of Owner installed fireplaces), shall not constitute wear resulting from ordinary use of the Premises. The cost of such repair, which shall be borne by Resident, may include the following: deodorizing the Premises, cleaning of drapes and blinds, sealing and painting of walls and ceiling, and cleaning, repairing or replacing carpeting or padding.
- Residents shall be responsible for any damage resulting from windows or doors left open.
- To take all reasonable precautions to prevent the presence of mold or mildew in the Premises, such steps to include, generally, using exhaust fans where available in humid locations, removing condensation from windows and other surfaces, providing adequate ventilation to the Premises at all times, storing possessions and furniture so as to provide for air circulation, etc. Resident agrees to promptly notify Owner of the presence of mold or mildew.
- To protect against freezing of water and waste pipes and stoppage of same in and about the premises. To maintain the temperature of the premises at such a level to prevent breakage of pipes or other damage to the premises. Resident shall relieve stoppage of drains and repair all damage caused thereby, whether through freezing or other obstruction, unless resulting from a condition existing at the commencement of this tenancy.
- Not to intentionally or negligently destroy, deface, damage, change, repair or remove any part of the structure or dwelling, including the facilities, equipment, furniture, floor or window coverings, furnishings, locks and appliances (“equipment”), or permit any member of Resident’s family, invitee, licensee, or any person under Resident’s control to do so. Resident and guests shall properly use and operate all such equipment. To replace in a neat and workmanlike manner all glass and doors broken or damaged during this tenancy. Resident agrees to notify Owner of any such damage that occurs and to repair at Resident’s expense any damage to the premises or equipment caused by Resident’s acts or neglect within the time period provided by written notice from Owner requiring such repairs.
- Not to make any alterations, additions, painting or improvements to the premises, nor to change or add additional locks, nor change or add telephone or cable T.V. jacks, nor to install any wires, cables or aerials for radio or television purposes on the roof or other parts of the Premises without the prior written approval of Owner. In the event such consent is given, all such alterations or additions shall be made at the sole expense of Resident and shall become the property of Owner and remain in and be surrendered with the premises upon vacancy, unless the consent given requires the removal of the improvement and restoration of the Premises. Resident is responsible for any damage caused by the use of tacks, nails, or adhesives on walls or woodwork.
- Prior to the installation of a satellite dish, the tenant must first give notice to the owner informing them that a satellite is to be installed. Installation must be performed by a licensed professional and within the approved guidelines for installation as provided by the owner. All satellite equipment and cabling must be contained within space under the tenant’s direct control per the lease agreement, not within or accessible from common areas.
- Resident shall not disconnect or relocate within the dwelling any owner supplied appliance without owner’s written consent.
- In the event that the tenant requests testing and/or service calls which prove to be unsubstantiated, or the condition is caused by the tenant, the tenant must pay for all actual service call charges.
- To inspect and maintain in compliance with the information tag thereon all Owner supplied fire extinguishers. Any fire extinguishers supplied are without charge for convenience of Resident only and no warranty is made as to their sufficiency for the premises.
Cleanliness & Trash
- To provide and maintain receptacles for garbage and trash, and to contract for collection of the same. The premises must be kept clean, sanitary and free from objectionable odors. To properly dispose of all rubbish, garbage, and other waste at reasonable and regular intervals and to follow all recycling procedures. Resident is responsible for all costs of extermination and fumigation for infestation caused by Resident.
- Resident agrees not to store any hazardous material including but not limited to asbestos, petroleum and petroleum by-products, old batteries, or paint on the premises or Property.
- To maintain the plantings and lawn and to keep the grass, lawn, flowers, planting beds, trees and shrubs in good condition and repair by watering, fertilizing and otherwise maintaining those elements in good health and in an appearance consistent with the character of the surrounding neighborhood. Owner reserves the right to have professional gardeners maintain the yard at Resident’s expense should Resident fail to comply with the preceding sentence. To keep the sidewalks or paths surrounding the premises free and clear of all obstructions, snow and ice.
- hh) To permit Owner to display “for rent” or “for sale” signs at any time during a tenancy; ii) Except as otherwise permitted by law, to display no signs or placards on or about the Premises. jj) Owner is not obligated to provide window or door screens. If any are presently installed, Owner has no obligation to maintain or replace them.
- kk) Not to install a water bed without the prior written approval of Owner. If permission is granted to use a waterbed, Resident shall obtain an insurance policy to protect Owner from any damage which may be caused thereby. No aquariums or other unusually heavy objects are permitted on the premises without Owner’s written consent.
- DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION OF PREMISES: In the event of damage to the Premises by fire, water or other hazard, and the damages are such that Resident’s occupancy can be continued, Owner shall make such repairs as needed with reasonable promptness and rent shall NOT abate during the period of such repairs. If in Owner’s opinion, the Premises are so damaged as to be unfit for occupancy, and Owner elects to make such repairs, the rent provided for herein shall abate during the period of time the Premises are not occupied by Resident, but in all other respects the terms and provisions hereof shall continue in full force and effect. Should repair necessitate Resident vacates the Premises for a period of time, Resident is obligated to vacate as instructed by Owner and rent shall abate during this period. Under no circumstances, terms or condition shall rent abate if damages are caused by the tenant. In the event that the Premises are so damaged or destroyed as to be, in the sole opinion of Owner, incapable of being satisfactorily repaired, then this Agreement shall terminate and Resident shall immediately vacate. In such case, Resident shall pay rent up to the day Resident vacates the Premises.
- SUMMARY OF FUNDS RECEIVED AND DUE:
ITEM CHARGE PAYMENT RECEIVED BALANCE Owing DUE DATE FOR UNPAID AMOUNTS First Month’s Rent Last Month’s Rent (if applicable) Non-Refundable Fees Non-Refundable Fees Refundable Security Deposit Other Payments (describe) TOTAL
- OPTIONAL CLAUSES:
29. ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO BE ATTACHED TO THIS AGREEMENT; RESIDENT’S INITIALS ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT A. _______ Property Condition Checklist (Required whenever a refundable deposit is collected)
- _______ Lead Based Paint Pamphlet (Required for pre-1978 Properties)
- _______ Lead Based Paint Disclosure Addendum (Required for pre-1978 Properties)
- _______ Mold Handout (Required as of July 24, 2005)
- _______ DPD Landlord-Tenant Law Summaries & Attorney General’s Landlord-Tenant Summaries (Required for Seattle Properties)
OPTIONAL ADDENDA AND ATTACHMENTS; RESIDENT’S INITIALS ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT
- _______ Crime Free Lease Addendum
- _______ Rules and Regulations
- _______ Satellite Dish Addendum
- _______ Pet Addendum
- _______ Smoke Free Addendum
- _______ Other:____________________________________________________________________________________________________
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement the day and year first above written.
Owner/Agent and Tenant are each advised to seek independent legal advice on matters arising from use of this form.