Use this template/form as a Complaint for Divorce Form in the State of South Carolina
South Carolina Complaint for Divorce
Text version of this Form
———————– Page 1———————–
STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA ) IN THE FAMILY COURT
) _____ JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
COUNTY OF ________________________ )
) COMPLAINT FOR DIVORCE
Plaintiff, ) (One Year Continuous Separation)
Defendant. ) Docket No. ___________________________
Plaintiff, ____________________________, would respectfully show this Court the following:
1. Plaintiff is a resident of _____________________ County, State of _____________________.
2. Upon information and belief, Defendant is a resident of ________________________ County,
State of __________________________.
3. Plaintiff and Defendant last shared a residence in _______________________ County, State of
4. Subject matter jurisdiction (check one):
Plaintiff has lived in South Carolina for over one year prior to the start of this action; or
Plaintiff and Defendant have both lived in South Carolina for longer than three (3) months
prior to the start of this action; or
Plaintiff is a resident of another state, but Defendant has lived in South Carolina for more
than one (1) year.
5. Plaintiff is informed and believes this Court has subject matter jurisdiction over the issues and
personal jurisdiction over the parties in this action.
6. Plaintiff and Defendant were married to each other on ________________________
(month/day), _____ (year), in ________________________ County, City of
______________________ in the State of ___________________________.
7. Plaintiff and Defendant separated on or about (month/day)
_____________________________, _____ (year). The parties have remained living separate
and apart from each other without cohabitation for more than one (1) continuous year prior to
filing this action.
8. There are:
SCCA 400.02 SRL-DIV (7/20 11) Page 1 of 3
———————– Page 2———————–
no minor children of this marriage and none are expected; or
______ number of child(ren) were born of this marriage: namely
Name Date of Birth
9. The parties:
have no marital property or
have agreed as to how the marital property shall be divided.
10. The parties:
have no marital debt or
have agreed as to how the marital debt shall be divided.
11. Name Change
The ( Plaintiff/ Defendant) requests to resume the former name of
The ( Plaintiff/ Defendant) does not request to resume the former name.
The preference is unknown.
12. Plaintiff believes that this marriage is forever broken and is that Plaintiff is entitled to a
complete and final divorce, a vinculo matrimonii, from Defendant upon the ground of One (1)
Year ’s Continuous Separation, pursuant to § 20-3-10(5) of the Code of Laws of South Carolina,
1976, as amended.
13. Plaintiff gives up the right to alimony and believes Defendant should be barred from receiving
alimony from the Plaintiff.
14. There is no collusion (agreement to defraud the court) between the parties to get a divorce, and
reconciliation of the parties is not possible.
Plaintiff asks that this Court to grant the following relief:
A. For an Order of divorce, a vinculo matrimonii, from Defendant upon the ground of
One (1) Year’s Continuous Separation, pursuant to § 20-3-10(5) of the Code of
Laws of South Carolina, 1976, as amended;
SCCA 400.02 SRL-DIV (7/20 11) Page 2 of 3
———————– Page 3———————–
B. For an Order allowing the Plaintiff to resume the former name of
____________________________ pursuant to §20-3-180 of the Code of Laws of
South Carolina, 1976, as amended; (If no name change is requested, please leave
C. For all other just and proper relief.
I affirm under the penalties of perjury that the statements and representations in the Complaint are true.
Date: ________________________, 20____
___________________________, S.C. Plaintiff’s Signature
Printed Name of Plaintiff
City, State, Zip
SCCA 400.02 SRL-DIV (7/20 11) Page 3 of 3