An Illinois Articles of Organization Form is filled to register a limited liability company in Illinois. Also known as the ‘Articles of Organization’ the form is filled to register a company in which the ‘members’ will have a limited liability towards the company.
As per the Illinois Limited Liability Company Act, the filing fee for the ‘Articles of Organization’ (also called Form LLC-5.5) is $500 and it is processed and approved by the Secretary of State.
Steps for Forming an LLC in Illinois
- Fill in the desired name of the limited liability company. Under Illinois Law and as mentioned on the form, the name must be followed by ‘Limited Liability Company’ or ‘L.L.C.’ or ‘LLC’. Also, ensure that the name is not the same or even similar to any other entity listed with the Secretary of State.
- Fill in the address of the primary place of business (where the company records will be held). This should be the full address and not just PO Box or c/o.
- Should the Articles of Organization be effective from the date of filling this form? Or from a future date? (not exceeding 60 days from date of filing)
Check the required option from the above two. If a future date is checked, ensure that you mention the exact month, day and year.
- As per State Law, every LLC must have a registered agent. This agent is one who will accept all legal documents on behalf of the company. This agent could be a member of the company, an employee, a legal entity, or anyone. Mention the full name of the appointed agent, along with his registered office address in the state of Illinois.
- Mention the purpose for the company being formed. This purpose should be as informative and descriptive as possible.
- Write the date on which the company is to be dissolved. If there is no end date, and the company is made to be perpetual, then leave this space blank.
- If there are any other special provisions with regard to the regulation of internal affairs, mention them in this area.
- Check whether the management will be done by a manager/s or by a member/s of the company. Write their names and addresses.
- Mention the date and names of two organizers, along with their signatures and addresses in full.
Address of Secretary of State, Illinois
Department of Business Services
Limited Liability Division
501 S. Second St., Rm. 351
Springfield, IL 62756